Published on August 31, 2016
Priorities for IT Professionals in Insurance
For IT professionals in insurance, it's imperative to keep on top of the latest advances. While this is true for every industry, Insurance has some specific complexities that make security and accuracy even more essential. Across every business, there's a great push to make sure that client satisfaction is realized in real time. This means that consumers expect fully functioning web portals and instant information on their current policies, as well as recommendations for their future needs. For the IT professional, the responsibilities include maintaining the essential accessibility of client portals, as well as programming, security, and data analytics to maintain the best possible efficiency for staff members and agents.
While there are specific requirements, depending on your placement in the IT department, the following comprises some priorities for the insurance industry in general.
Top Priorities for Insurance IT
When you break down the essential priorities for IT professionals in insurance, many of them have to do with data collection and security. The industry has access to some extremely sensitive information, which makes security as high of a priority as efficient response time.
- Internal Security Measures. It's essential that there are internal security measures in place to protect sensitive client and industry information. This will often mean set software and server access protocols so that individual employees can only view information necessary to their production responsibilities. Each individual user should also be tracked via log in to determine their activity in the database.
- External Security Measures. Because insurance carriers have access to sensitive information, they are also a target for those with malicious intent, such as hackers. To guard against these attacks, IT professionals constantly update their security to include new threats. They also actively track and attempt to stop threats at the time they occur to help mitigate any possible damages.
- Compliance with Regulations. It's essential to maintain compliance with all of the various regulations that impact the insurance industry. Consumers and governing agencies need to be notified if any breech is made and these incidents can cost the company in both fines and reputation.
- Web Based Applications. As consumer online engagement grows, it's more and more essential to create web based applications to best meet customer needs while maintaining optimal security measures.
- Data Collection and Analytics. The phrase "big data" is becoming an understatement with the vast amount of information gathered today. One essential component in IT today is not only gathering the data but being able to use these analytics to most efficiently meet consumer needs.
- Efficient Client Management. For insurance agents, the IT department has become an integral part of aiding their quest for seamless client management tools. While agents are the end user in these directives, their success is determined largely by IT's ability to integrate new software and programming with essential databases, allowing management to have ready access to all of the tools to best access policies and address client concerns.
IT Professionals in Insurance Provide Optimal Growth
Every large company needs dedicated IT professionals to ensure the accuracy and efficiency of their business model. For those in the insurance industry, technology has impacted every facet of the field, from advertising through client engagement. There are great benefits to the ready access of information to better inform customers during any scenario. But this also means that there is a great need for proactive security and regulation.
Do you need real-time security in your Domino environment?
View upcoming events
See all industry events that BCC will be attending in the near future.View events
Bevorstehende Veranstaltungen ansehen
Sehen Sie alle Branchenveranstaltungen, an denen BCC in naher Zukunft teilnehmen wird.Veranstaltungen ansehen